Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The BEAR Encounter!


Last year on September 28th Hank took me for a hike. When we finally reached the top, of what we now call "Ring Ridge" he asked me to marry him. This year we decided to celebrate this anniversary by retracing our footsteps from the previous year. We stopped in all the same places, took pictures and video footage in all the same places. However, there was one big difference. As we turned a corner about three fourths of the way to the top Hank stopped dead in his tracks, swung his 7MM off his shoulder into shooting position and said "Holy **** there's a bear. I'm not even kidding there is a bear!" I was just rounding the corner and sure enough right in front of us at about 50 yards was a black bear starring straight at us. I imagine that in the next few moments Hank and I and the bear were all experiencing similar thoughts. We were wondering do we shoot him, or do we turn around and run. The bear seemed to be thinking...do I try to eat them, or do I turn around and run.


About a minute into our standoff the bear began growling, grunting and clacking his teeth at us. Hank was ready to shoot if the bear made one wrong move, but we weren't entirely sure if the bear was legal. We could tell it was a young smaller bear but we didn't know if it was a cub or a sow with cubs (both of which are illegal too shoot). Even though it wasn't a massive bear and Hank could have killed it at any moment... I was scared. Big or small a bear is a bear and where there is one bear there could be two, or three, or a whole colony of bears. (This resulted in the somewhat blurry pictures...I was shaking).

After about two minutes, the bear chose to run and we chose not to shoot. Hank battled with his choice the rest of the day, wondering if he just should of shot the dang thing. I really hope the bear did not spend the rest of his day contemplating if he should have come after us! I guess we were all lucky to make it out in one piece!

8 comments:

Laura G said...

WOW! That's crazy. Thanks to your blog, I'm staying informed. Eli's on night shift so we don't see each other much. I love how you speculate on the bears thoughts. You are hilarious!

Natalie said...

That's cool! Did I tell you my bear story? Remind me!

Amy said...

OH MY! My heart is still beating fast...remember when we both freaked out (last Sunday) about the dumb dog barking???? I am sooooo glad I wasn't with you two--and that you are safe. (Matt bought me some bear spray for ES...wanna try it?)

Chelsi said...

Didn't Grandpa Great always say something about the three "s"'s? Or does that only apply to sheep ranching predator management?

You have got to admit though, even if it was scary what a neat experience...plus it made for an excellently dramatic (if overdue) blog update.

sam and kyrsten said...

LAcY! i was just blog surfing and found your blog! crazy! I havent seen you guys forever! CONGRATULATIONS on you and hank getting married! you guys are great!where are you guys living now!?

Trent said...

That's insane. I'm glad you guys got out of there alright..

Had I been there I probably would've just fought the bear with my bare hands.. haha.

Unknown said...

Good good good......

Chelsi said...

Lacy Bean - when you get a sec go here and leave stacey a note:

staceysbestblog.blogspot.com

I made my sister in law start one too. I know...I know...