Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The life and death of Sanchez...the mustache


This picture documents about day 2 of little Sanchez's life. Who is Sanchez? Well, it's Hank's mustache. Why...I'm not quite sure, but Hank proudly informed me that he was naming his mustache Sanchez. I am not the biggest fan of facial hair, but he is my husband and to keep the peace I chose not to veto the mustache... or Sanchez I mean.

About a month into Sanchez's life, I was not a very happy camper. I'm not sure why, but I am a woman and retain the right to be moody every once and a while, right? I CHOSE to feel neglected, unappreciated, and unnoticed. (This is not even remotely true. Hank makes me feel the exact opposite, but I was in one of those moods where I just wanted to be mad.) So like any mature woman, in order to make my point, I decided to avoid my husband. After a couple of days, my hormones must have shut off, and I realized I was being ridiculous.

So...back to Sanchez. After my grumpy episode, Hank finally broke down and asked me if I noticed that he had shaved his mustache. I hadn't. He had waited two days to see if I'd notice. I didn't. Sanchez was gone. I was too busy being wrapped up in the idea that he didn't pay attention to me that I forgot to pay attention to him.

So it seems, that next time I find myself in a negative funk all I need to do is remember little Sanchez, and realize that even though life can be a little stressful at times it is beautiful and wonderful. The story of Sanchez reminded me that life is what we make of it, so instead of looking for (or even making up) things to make us miserable, we should look for and appreciate all of our fortunes and blessings!

7 comments:

Chelsi said...

This is a sweet and funny story. I love how you find all these deep meanings in little things. You are a philosopher. I am going to send my kids to you when I can't stand them - you are going to be that cheesy, corny aunt that instills them with all of life's lessons. Ha. I can't wait.

Chelsi said...

P.S.
You really don't like facial hair? How are we from the same genetic pool? I would be way upset if Trevor DID shave off his beard and facial hair. I LOVE it. Although I am glad that he doesn't assign random Latin American names to it....

Laura G said...

I am so thankful for a couple of things this post has brought light upon. One, that your husband is just as corny and cheesy as mine, which somehow only endears me to Eli even more. WEIRD!!! right? Second that you are one of the most positive people I know. It's pretty hard to find happy, positive things during hunting season when there aren't any offspring to distract you from the loneliness. Last but not least, I still am not quite sure how everything worked out so perfectly that you ended up as one of my sisters, but I will be eternally grateful for the greatest decision Hank's ever made!!!!

Laura G said...

Oh by the way that wasn't a real mustache, come to find out that was just some cheeto residue from hunting camp.

Eli

Suzy & Todd said...

those moods suck. Todd one time brought me home flowers and I didn't notice for a whole day. A mustache is a little easier to miss than a boquet of red roses.

Amy said...

You are darling. I love how you step outside yourself to realize the little things. It makes me giggle too to think of Hank naming Sanchez...I can hear the way he would say it. I love you both!

Natalie said...

Love the post! So hilarious!!!