Wednesday, September 10, 2008

When my charity attempt BACKFIRED!

So it all began in the wal-mart parking lot. Low and behold as I drove past the wal mart parking lot, a skinny, little, old, dirty, sad lookin man stood holding a cardboard sign that merely said "PLEASE HELP ME." Needless to say I knew that if I did not do something for him I would not be able to stop thinking about what I could have done for him. So I decided to buy him some food. I hurried about...well as fast as you can in wal-mart...and left the store complete with enough groceries for the sidewalk stander to last a couple of days. As I was unloading my groceries, I noticed a woman standing behind me. I turned around to see a women who was probably in her mid forties. It didn't take me long to realize that she wasn't all there, or as some may say she was a few cards short of a full deck.. or maybe missing about half. She asked if she could get a ride to the other side of town. She then began ranting about something and everything. I tried to see if there was anyone I could call for her. This began another rant filled answer. The entire time I was trying to figure out what I should do. I knew that I wanted to help her, but I also knew it could be a potentially scarry situation. After about five minutes, I told her I was so sorry but I was on my to class and couldn't take her home. I got in my car still asking myself if I had made the right desicion. It gets worse, by the time I got back to where the man was...he was gone. I made a couple loops but could not find him. So while trying to help someone out, I ended up turning someone away, not helping the man, and feeling worse than if I would have kept driving. That's about my luck I guess. Did I do the right thing, should I have taken the "crazy" lady home? I don't know, what do ya'll think?

5 comments:

Chelsi said...

Lacy - You are like the nicest person I know. Seriously, I cannot believe how much you give to people and how much you try to do. You are a good example to me.

Natalie said...

Oh my heck this has happened to me so many times. Not the crazy lady and the man at the same time but I have bought the man who used to stand in Pocatello w/the same sign-lots of McDonalds. Yet, I felt bad because it wasn't that healthy!

Laura G said...

I think that if your hubby would have been with ya, it would've been different, so I think you're still going to heaven. ; )

Trevor said...

Lacy your awes-inspiring, your heart is always in the right place. I'd say you get points in heaven for that one. And as for the crazy lady.... i think you did the right thing.

Amy said...

Lacy, I'm impressed. You shouldn't feel badly. Like Chelsi said, you are a great example... and no, you did the right thing by not giving the crazy lady a ride. Love ya!